With the release of Shield tablet, the original Shield is getting less attention. However, the company did not forget about it and has released a major update that is available OTA. The update still uses Android 4.4 and comes with new Shield wireless controller support.
The new controller can be used when the portable is in console mode and plugged into a TV. In addition, the new Shield Hub app is included in the update, replacing the old TegraZone application. There are more changes, so check the official changelog for details.
- SHIELD wireless controller support
- Adds SHIELD wireless controller app for quick pairing to SHIELD portable
- Wirelessly stream audio to a headset connected to the controller
- New SHIELD Hub app
- Improves and replaces existing TegraZone app
- Adds My Media Apps for quick launch access to installed entertainment apps
- GameStream improvements
- Quality of service and security improvements
- New onscreen controls for GameStream. Access by long holding Start
- Remote GameStream - required router settings changes for manual port forwarding (Learn More)
- Netflix HD support for up to 1080p streaming in Console Mode
- Ethernet indicator is now displayed in top-right Android notification bar when connected to Ethernet