Not that geeks don't run the planet and its economy already, it's always nice to see a celebration of geek-culture. YouTube and Nerdist announced Geek Week, a week-long annual celebration of geek-culture, spanning across everything from love of superheroes, comics, gaming, science, and sci-fi. Running between August 4th to 10th, Geek Week will see YouTube showcase programming from more than 100 special channels spanning these five realms of geek-culture, each dedicated a day of the week, and hosted by a YouTube star. The itinerary.
- Blockbuster Sunday: A celebration of the iconic characters, movies and shows that define geek culture - plus a spotlight on the best original YouTube sci-fi, fantasy and animation. Hosted by FreddieW.
- Global Geekery Monday: Anime from Tokyo, comic-book heroes from Delhi and a celebration of Doctor Who. Explore geek culture from around the world. Hosted by YOMYOMF.
- Brainiac Tuesday: Science, education and knowledge channels that make YouTube the world's biggest platform for learning. Hosted by Veritasium and The Spangler Effect.
- Super Wednesday: From hilarious parodies to real-life super-powers, explore superheroes, the supernatural and the super-weird. Plus, released exclusively for Geek Week, the trailer for Marvel's Thor: The Dark World. Hosted by Stan Lee's World of Heroes.
- Gaming Thursday: A gamers paradise, with live play-throughs, videogames in real life, game-inspired original series and much more. Hosted by Machinima and Maker Studios' Polaris.
- Fan Friday: Sci-fi-themed cooking, incredible cosplay and impassioned nerd debates as YouTube's biggest fans take center-stage. Hosted by Geek and Sundry.
The objective of the whole exercise? To get geeks the find the channels they've been missing out on. "With more than half of our top 20 non-music channels dedicated to geek culture, YouTube has become a top destination for fans everywhere to create, share and watch geek content," said Danielle Tiedt, Chief Marketing Officer, YouTube. "We're excited to shine a spotlight on this global community during Geek Week and debut all-new videos and series created by some of our most popular channel partners."