After years of waiting, Nokia is now officially back in the smartphone business. The HMD Global, a Finnish company that has the exclusive licensing rights to use the Nokia brand on mobile smartphones, has unveiled a new Android handset called Nokia 6.
Nokia 6 is a mid-range device that features a 5.5-inch 1080p 2.5D curved glass display, Snapdragon 430 with an octa-core processor, 4 GB of RAM, 64 GB of expandable storage and a 3,000 mAh battery.
The phone will launch in the first half of 2017 JD.com exclusive, priced at the equivalent of $250. Whether or not the company plans to launch the phone worldwide later in the year is unknown.
Nokia 6 specifications
- 5.5-inch (1920 x 1080 pixels) 2.5D curved glass display with 450 nits brightness, Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 430 ( 4 x 1.2 GHz Cortex A53 + 4 x 1.5 GHz Cortex A53) 64-bit processor with Adreno 505 GPU
- 4GB LPDDR3 RAM, 64GB internal memory, expandable memory up to 128GB with microSD
- Android 7.0 (Nougat)
- Dual SIM
- 16MP rear camera with dual-tone LED flash, PDAF, 1.0um sensor, f/2.0 aperture
- 8MP front-facing camera, 1.12um sensor, f/2.0 aperture, 84° wide-angle lens
- Fingerprint sensor
- 3.5mm audio jack, Dual speakers, Dual smart amplifiers (TFA9891), Dolby Atmos
- Dimensions: 154 x 75.8 x 7.8 mm
- 4G LTE, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.1, GPS, USB OTG
- 3000mAh built-in battery
"Just a short while ago we announced the launch of HMD Global. From the outset we have stated that we intend to move with speed to establish a position as a player in the smartphone category and create products that truly meet consumer needs. The Nokia 6 is a result of listening to our consumers who desire a beautifully crafted handset with exceptional durability, entertainment and display features.
Our ambition is to deliver a premium product, which meets consumer needs at every price point, in every market. We start today, with our premium, high quality Nokia 6; built to deliver a fantastic core user experience for Chinese consumers. We look forward to unveiling further products in the first half of this year."-Arto Nummela, CEO, HMD Global