Just as promised last month, NVIDIA has released Android 7.0 update for the SHIELD Tablet K1. This is a great news and a much worthy move by NVIDIA, since the tablet was originally released back in 2015 with Android 5.0 Lollipop and this is its third major Android update.
The update is now rolling out so be sure to check your settings and update the tablet. As for the changes, the official changelog list is below:
- Updates to Shield controller support.
- Split-screen: Run two apps side by side in Portrait or Landscape modes (if apps support the feature).
- Quick switch: Double tap the Overview button to quickly switch back to the last opened app.
- Multiple notifications from the same app are now bundled for a streamlined experience.
- Reply to messages directly from within the notification (if the app supports the feature).
- Tap and hold on a notification to quickly silence or block notifications from the app.
- Improved power consumption with Doze on the Go: Doze is now smarter & kicks in even when the device is being carried around.
- Includes all-new Unicode 9 emojis.
- Display & Font size can now separately adjustable to improve readability or screenspace.
- Quick Settings can now be customized directly from the menu by tapping "Edit."
- The top Quick Setting tiles can now be accessed with a downward swipe from the lock screen.
- Settings now includes a Navigation Menu & Suggestions to improve usability.
- The "Clear all" option in Overview have been relocated to the top right.
- New Data Saver: when enabled, limits access to Cellular data for background apps.
- New JIT compiler: improves the speed of App & System updates.
- Update to Android Security Patch Level December 1, 2016.
Note that compared to the original Shield Tablet, the Shield Tablet K1 doesn't come with a stylus, a slot for a stylus to fit inside if you buy one separately, or even a power adapter and cable.