As promised, Xiaomi has officially unveiled two new products today, at an event in Beijing, China. The first thing unveiled was the new affordable smartphone, the Xiaomi Mi 5X, followed by the announcement of new operating system, the MIUI 9.
It isn't the first time we hear about the Mi 5X as the phone leaked several times before its announcement. The Mi 5X packs a 5.5-inch 1080p display, a Snapdragon 625 chipset with 4 GB of RAM, 64 GB of storage, dual 12 MP cameras on the back, which are the same as the cameras on the Xiaomi Mi 6, and a 3,080 mAh battery.
The Xiaomi Mi 5X comes in Black, Gold and Rose Gold colors, and will go on sale in China starting next month, priced at 1,499 yuan ($220).
Xiaomi Mi 5X specifications
- 5.5-inch (1920 x 1080 pixels) Full HD 2.5D curved glass LTPS display, 450nit brightness, 1000:1 contrast ratio
- 2GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 625 14nm processor with 650MHz Adreno 506 GPU
- 4GB RAM, 64GB storage (eMMC 5.0), expandable memory up to 128GB with microSD
- MIUI 8 based on Android 7.1.1 (Nougat), upgradable to MIUI 9
- Hybrid Dual SIM (micro + nano/microSD)
- 12MP rear camera with wide-angle lens, 1.25μm pixel size, f/2.2 aperture, dual-tone LED flash, secondary 12MP camera with telephoto lens, 1.0 μm pixel size, f/2.6 aperture, PDAF
- 5MP front-facing camera
- Fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- Dimensions: 155.4×75.8×7.3mm; Weight: 165g
- 5mm audio jack, dedicated amplifier
- 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz / 5GHz), Bluetooth 4.2, GPS + GLONASS, USB Type-C
- 3080mAh (typical) / 3000mAh (minimum) battery
As for the MIUI 9, the new user interface is based on Android Nougat 7.0 and comes with three new key features - Image search, Smart assistant, and Smart app launcher. MIUI 9 closed beta will begin for Mi 6 and Redmi Note 4X (Qualcomm) in China from July 27th, while other devices will get it on August 25.
Features of MIUI 9
- Launch-times of App will be explosively fast with optimized haptic feedback, intelligent CPU acceleration and optimized thread scheduling
- Dynamic resource allocation uses its own critical thinking to allocate priority to in-use App for a fluent experience
- Universal Image search - Powerful search engine on Mi phone that can differentiate your image like people, location, expressions, documents, events and screenshots
- Smart assistant - Easy way to find almost everything, schedules, notes, and much more.
- Smart app launcher - Launch an app based on screen contents
- Automatic archiving of documents - ID cards, business cards, bank cards, passports, documents are automatically archived so they are easy to find
- Dynamic icons - New dynamic icons for apps
- Split Screen - Easy-to-use split-screen function lets you use two apps at a time
- New Homescreen editor - Redesigned homescreen editing feature lets you sort out homescreen application icons and bulk delete applications more quickly.
- Notification filter - Based on the deep learning algorithm MIUI9's notification column intelligently filters the notifications received by the user, and accepts the notifications that are not important, so that you can focus on the really important information.
- Message features - New text messages are grouped by time, flow management to efficiently read in batches or delete faster. Intelligent aggregation all the verification code SMS.
- Silent mode - Silent mode in volume control panel lets you quickly turn on the mute or do not disturb, and set the automatic time