Two days after rolling it for the LTE-enabled Galaxy S4 GT-I9505, Samsung began rolling out its major yearend software update package to its poorer twin, the 3G-only, Exynos-driven Galaxy S4 GT-I9500. The package includes Android 4.3, Galaxy Gear support, and HMP driver.
To begin with, the update gives the GT-I9500 Google's latest mobile operating system, Android 4.3 "Jelly Bean," with upgrades to the company's TouchWiz user interface running on top of Android. The updated TouchWiz introduces clearer fonts with improved display color reproduction.
Among the device performance improvements with the upgrade are:
- eMMC TRIM support improves write performance onto the phone memory (internal storage), improving app performance
- A new display driver adds a new color profile, and reproduces colors over the 5-inch 1080p AMOLED display better
- Possible Heterogenous Multi-Processing (HMP) CPU driver and kernel modules let apps take advantage of both Cortex-A15 and Cortex-A7 sets of CPU cores on the Exynos Octa 5410 SoC simultaneously
Among the software features introduced with the upgrade are:
- Samsung KNOX information management system, which lets CIOs remote-manage corporate data on devices tied to corporate networks. The update includes a new KNOX bootloader, and client app
- Samsung Wallet, the company's very own payment processor to rival Google Wallet, will be included. The service lets you securely purchase or rent content and apps over Samsung Hub
- New Samsung Browser, a new stock web-browser by Samsung, which is based on Webkit, but offers better UI than Chrome
- Reading Mode, a new mode that can be launched by quick-access dropdown, which optimizes the display for comfortable and legible reading
- An updated Samsung Keyboard (on-screen keyboard app), which addresses various ergonomic issues raised with the original
- New Camera app, an upgraded camera app that leverages new camera module firmware to improve performance and image quality
- New Contacts app, which makes it quicker to find multiple contacts
- Samsung Galaxy Gear manager, a client app that makes the device talk to your Galaxy Gear smartwatch
Samsung began rolling out the new firmware for Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 in Russia first, devices in other LTE-devoid markets will begin seeing the update in the week of 20th October, 2013.