Even before the first Tizen powered device has made its way into retail channels, the Samsung-backed OS has already reached its third major development milestone. Version 3.0 of Tizen OS was announced by Samsung at their very first Developer Conference, where the Korean company revealed some of the major new features of Tizen 3.0. Here they go:
- Updated Core and ToolChain
- Multiple user support (Multiple user support with protection)
- 64-bit Support (IA and ARM chips, performance improvements, larger, memory address space)
- 3D UI framework (3D Rendering Engine for 2D and 3D Objects in the real world and Dynamic Animation library)
- WayLand based compositor
- Crosswalk (HTML5 based application runtime based on Chromium/Blink)
While the first Tizen Smartphone is expected to be launched in February, the final public release of Tizen 3.0 is slated for Q3 2014. Meaning, the first Tizen powered devices will be running an older version of the OS (namely, Tizen 2.2).