Samsung's Android-powered Galaxy Camera may have spawned a new category of consumer cameras, but it also overlooked competitors' ingenuity. While the 3G and WiFi-equipped Galaxy Cameras originally start around the $500 mark, we've come across several smart point-and-shooters at the 2013 International CES, held last month, which managed to cut costs greatly, but skipping 3G/cellular support. This may have prompted Samsung's product managers to stroll back to the drawing boards.
The company announced a new line of Galaxy Cameras, which are cheaper, and lack 3G/cellular networking support. The only way you can connect them to the web is over WiFi. Bearing the SKU "EK-GC110," Samsung's newest creation retains almost the entire feature-set of its more outgoing siblings, with the exception of a cellular modem.
The WiFi-only Galaxy Camera (EK-GC110) features a 16.3-megapixel sensor, 21x telescopic optical zoom, and a 4.7-inch touchscreen display that interfaces you with its Android 4.1 "Jelly Bean" user interface. Samsung includes a few handy camera-centric apps, in addition to giving you full Google Play access, so you could catch up on Angry Birds Star Wars between shots.
Samsung did not release pricing and availability information, but the lack of cellular networking is expected to shave off a fair bit from the Galaxy Camera's price. Samsung could also take into account similar devices from the likes of Polaroid and Nikon, when finalizing its price.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd today launched the Samsung GALAXY Camera (Wi-Fi), the newest addition to the GALAXY Camera lineup. Like the original GALAXY Camera, the GALAXY Camera (Wi-Fi) combines high performance photographic features with Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) OS and dual-band Wi-Fi connectivity, making shooting, enjoying, editing and sharing images from a single device easier than ever before.
- The GALAXY Camera (Wi-Fi) has all of the innovative and practical features that the GALAXY Camera offers but without a 3G/4G connection. This makes the GALAXY Camera (Wi-Fi) more affordable for a user who does not need the always-connected benefit of the GALAXY Camera. With the GALAXY Camera (Wi-Fi), users can use the dual-band Wi-Fi technology embedded in the device to share photos with family and friends through email, social networks or mobile communication services like Samsung ChatON right from the device, as well as enjoy the luxury of backing-up pictures instantly to cloud services when connected.
- With a 21x Super Long Zoom lens and a super-bright 16M BSI CMOS, the GALAXY Camera (Wi-Fi) combines superior compact camera hardware with a simple and comfortable design. Taking professional-looking images is made easy with 19 different integrated Smart Modes, which allow users to choose from a series of preset scenario options such as Light trace or Action freeze to ensure the perfect shot is captured every time.
- The GALAXY Camera (Wi-Fi) revolutionizes photography with its Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) OS, providing the familiarity of the largest Smartphone OS with advanced picture taking ability. Users can customize their camera and choose which of the 700,000＋ Android apps from Google Play they wish to download.
- For enjoying and editing images, the GALAXY Camera (Wi-Fi) boasts a large and vivid camera display - a 4.8" (121.2mm) HD Super Clear Touch Display. The GALAXY Camera (Wi-Fi) comes preloaded with powerful photo and video editing tools, 'Photo Wizard' and 'Video Editor,' allowing for professional style edits to be made right from the GALAXY Camera (Wi-Fi).
- Connectivity for the Samsung GALAXY Camera (Wi-Fi) is supported by a quad-core processor that enables fast web-browsing and multi-tasking, as well as high-speed image processing without a significant impact on battery life. The stylish curves of the camera's ergonomic design further aid image capture by placing all of the key controls right at your fingertips.
|Channel||Photo and Video|
|Topics||Android, Samsung, Galaxy Camera, WiFi, Galaxy|